Monday 17 March 2014

The Review: Origins Skincare Extravaganza!

Ever since the online beauty community became obsessed with Origins' GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream, I was desperate to get my hands on some products from the brand. I picked up a set of 5 Origins products from Sephora, and I'm excited to bring you a review for each one today!


Origins is a brand that's all about using the very best natural ingredients, proven by science to create effective and eco-friendly skincare products. You won't find parabens, heavy fillers, strong drying acids, or any other irritants in their lineup. That makes it an interesting brand for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin to try out. They're also environmentally and animal friendly.

Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores: This mask is designed to draw out dirt, toxins, oil, and pore-clogging bacteria from pores, using activated charcoal. Over time, it's meant to help your skin's waste-filtering system improve and work better on it's own. In addition, white China clay helps to remove a build-up of environmental toxins. My experience with this product has been overwhelmingly positive. I love it! I'll exfoliate my skin, then gently cleanse, before applying this. Without over-drying, it tightens on your skin, yet washes off easily after ten minutes. It makes my skin feel incredibly smooth and clean, but never tight or irritated. I'd highly recommend this to people who suffer from frequently clogged pores or dull skin. After you wash this off, it's the perfect time to apply a moisturiser with added skincare benefits - your pores have just been completely cleared, so your skin will absorb products much more easily. If you feel like your serums or treatments aren't working well enough, it might be time to invest in this charcoal mask!

Modern Friction Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion: Origins promises that in just one use of this exfoliator, you'll notice more polished, smooth, and luminous skin. It's designed to be much more gentle than traditional exfoliators, which can be irritating. The product contains rice starch to remove old cells, eliminate rough or uneven patches, and fight signs of discolouration. It also helps diminish the appearance of fine lines and pores. In addition, lemon oil helps illuminate the skin. I've used this product several times, and I really like it. The texture isn't gritty and rough, like a typical exfoliator - it's smoother and more creamy. I feel like it does a great job of exfoliating without making my face red or blotchy. That said, the nearly microscopic exfoliating beads seemed to be difficult to wash off my face. Other than that, though, I had a great experience with it. I'd recommend it to anyone who struggles with normal exfoliators and finds them to be too rough. After washing this off, my face really did seem much more smooth, and my pores looked smaller. I can't speak to the anti-discolouration aspect, as I haven't used it enough yet to be able to comment on that. Again, it's another great pick for those with acne-prone or sensitive skin.

Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash: This is designed to be a cleanser for those with combination skin, who need to balance dry patches and oily areas. I have oily/combo skin, so I was excited to try this one out! The product contains broad leaf kelp extract, which discourages oil production, as well as wheat protein to balance and protect the dry patches and areas. Origins say that your skin will never feel tight, pulled, or dry after use, which I agree with. However, I didn't have a very good experience with this particular cleanser. The texture is super creamy, and even a little oily. I feel like it didn't cleanse my skin very well, and it still felt kind of oily and dirty after use. It turns out that my prediction about this not getting all the gunk out was correct, because every single morning after I used this, I woke up with a breakout. My skin doesn't break out very easily, so it really surprised me. I'm unsure what caused the irritation - maybe the wheat protein? I just feel like this product tries to do too much, by balancing oily areas and dry patches. Pick your battles, Origins! It's definitely not an awful product though, and might work better for those with very dry skin who don't need a deep cleanse.


GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream: A beauty blogger favourite, this clinically-proven eye cream from Origins is designed to de-puff the undereye area and reduce the appearance of dark circles. A mix of caffeine from a coffee bean, Panax ginseng, magnolia extract, and optic brighteners help to wake up and refresh your eye area while adding radiance. The texture of this cream is quite rich and creamy, and has a pretty, slightly pinky opalescent colour. While I don't think that this a complete miracle for those with severe dark circles, it definitely helps to hydrate and soften the eye area. I'll use this the night before or after the use of heavy concealer or highlighting products under my eyes. It's definitely one of my favourite eye creams, because it absorbs quickly and is great at hydrating. It helps to add a little radiance, as well.

GinZing Energy Boosting Moisturiser: This light, gel-like facial cream helps to hydrate skin and add radiance. It's oil-free, and also contains the same Panax ginseng and coffee bean extract that's found in the iconic GinZing eye cream. It's meant to add radiance to the face, while giving skin a look that's refreshed, vibrant, and glowing. I actually think that this is a really under-rated product from Origins. It's truly great for those with oily or acne-prone skin who are looking for something refreshing, light, and non-clogging that still manages to hydrate well. I recommend this for use in the morning, along with the GinZing eye cream, when you want to look wide awake and well rested, as well as energized. It's great for a casual, low-key, light makeup day when you still want to appear polished and healthy. A great morning boost for those who need some radiance and a gentle moisturiser.

What do you think of Origins? What are your favourite products? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment