Friday 18 April 2014

The Review: Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder!

Until recently, I'd always finished my makeup with a pressed powder or powder foundation, like Mac's Mineralize Skin Finish Natural or Physician's Formula CC Powder. However, I purchased a small Tarte set around the holidays and it came with a tiny sample size of their Smooth Operator Finishing Powder. I decided to give it a try, and I was absolutely shocked with the results.


In short, I loved it! It was a brand new way to set my makeup, and it was a total gamechanger for me. Even though my little sample is still going strong, I purchased the full size!

Packaging: The product comes in a round container with a top that simply twists off. It features a pretty design which is the hallmark of all of Tarte's Amazonian Clay products (the same design can be found on their blushes). To apply, you can simply shake some powder onto your brush, and dust off the excess. It's one of the most nicely packaged loose powders I've seen in a very long time.

Formulation: Tarte describes the product as a translucent, silky finishing powder with Amazonian clay that sets makeup and eases the look of imperfections. It promises to keep makeup in place without giving a white-cast or looking thick or chalky, and mattifies skin without the dreaded cakey finish. You can also use it alone to mattify your skin and blur imperfections. As with all Tarte products, the ingredients are impeccable: no parabens, mineral oil or gluten here!

Application: The silkiness of this powder makes it effortless to apply. I simply swirl my brush in the product (I always use the Ecotools Bronzer Brush) and then pat gently all over my face. It applies smoothly and evenly, almost melting into my skin. Afterwards, my skin is mattified and looks airbrushed, but also keeps the radiance that allows for a natural-looking finish. There is absolutely nothing cakey or thick about this powder - in fact, it's nearly impossible to tell that you've set your makeup at all. It won't disturb the pigments in foundation or concealer, either, making it a top pick.

Who Would Like It: Anyone. Really, anyone. It mattifies on oily skin, but wouldn't be too drying on skin that needs extra hydration. Those with acne-prone or uneven skin will enjoy this even more, because it gives an airbrushed effect and helps to improve the look of skin's surface.

Overall Value: I paid $35 CA for this at Sephora, and I was happy to do so. A little goes such a long way - I've been using my sample size for weeks now without it running out, and I set my entire face with it every time I apply makeup. A great value for anyone looking for a flawless finishing powder.

Conclusion: This may just be one of my favourite makeup discoveries in years. Let's just say that you'll never find me without this, no matter what makeup look I'm doing. I don't think I'll ever buy another finishing powder, because this is perfection.

Have you tried this or any other Tarte products recently? How do you set your makeup? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment