Tuesday 28 January 2014

Stila CC Cream Review + Swatches!

Today I'll be reviewing Stila's CC Cream, an all-in-one makeup and skincare product that's designed to colour correct and even out skin tone.


When I posted this photo on Instagram, I told you guys that I'd be reviewing and talking about some of the products from my recent Sephora haul.


Well, I'm not going back on my promise! I'm going to start with Stila's CC Cream, and you'll see reviews on the Origins skincare set, the Boscia set, and the Josie Maran products very soon, as well as more.

I've been using Stila CC Cream for about two weeks. I purchased it from Sephora, and I wear the shade Fair (01). This comes in six shades, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something that matches your skin tone, as the green-based formula is very versatile.

So, what does this do? How does it work?


Stila markets this CC cream as an all-in-one product. It's designed to offer colour correction while concealing imperfections, brightening skin, and creating a natural, even complexion. With active ingredients, it promises to shield your skin from environmental damages, and with SPF 20 sun protection, it's supposed to act as both makeup and skincare. The green-based formula is made to reduce the appearance of hyper-pigmentation, redness, and fine lines while brightening the skin. The formula adapts to your skin tone for invisible coverage and continuous hydration. Stila recommends either applying with fingertips or a brush. I definitely agree, and because this blends so easily, I think that using your fingers is the best option for application.


This is the CC cream freshly applied to my hand, without any blending in. As you can see, it has a definite greenish colour, which is supposed to help correct redness and even out skin tone. It has a thin consistency, but it doesn't feel greasy or slippery at all. To me, it's simply light and hydrating.


Once you blend out the cream, the green colour becomes less and less apparent until it simply takes on the colour of your skin. I love the fact that it's incredibly easy to blend, and feels fresh and hydrating. Once applied, you can't notice the greenish tint anymore.

The coverage of this product is extremely light. It doesn't have any real colour to it, just tints to correct, so make sure that you're aware of that before you buy. This helps a lot with the redness I get in my cheeks and forehead, and provides an overall even look with an incredibly natural finish. It would be difficult to tell that someone was wearing this product, as it's so light and blends so well. However, if you have blemishes, acne scars, or more prominent hyper-pigmentation and imperfections, this won't be enough to cover that.

The wear time of this is impressive when set with powder. Even with my combination skin, I can get all-day wear out of this CC cream without worrying about fading or oxidizing. If you have very oily skin, you might find this a little bit too dewy, but most people shouldn't have a problem. And this product is extremely hydrating, without ever becoming oily or greasy. This means that it won't accentuate or call attention to any flaky patches, making it a great choice for those with dry skin as well.

Overall, I'm loving this CC Cream. Personally, the coverage is usually enough for me, but on days when my acne scarring is more obvious, I apply concealer over top. With this product, layering is totally fine - when you need more coverage, you can go back in with more cream or add as much concealer as you need. This is beautifully natural. You're never going to look cakey when you wear this, and it's the perfect base for a true 'no makeup makeup' look. The only downside is the price - it's $44 US/$57 CA at Sephora stores. In my opinion, that's a little bit pricey for a CC cream, even when you get 40 mL.

Bottom line? There are other BB and CC Creams out there at lower price-points which have similar formulas and consistencies (Maybelline's BB Cream comes to mind, and there are more as well). That said, I've never tried any other product that looks as light, fresh, and natural as this one does. I'm impressed with it's colour correcting abilities, and it would be difficult to find another BB/CC cream with such a long wear time. If ever a CC cream warranted a splurge, this one would be it.

Don't forget- you can now follow my blog with Bloglovin!

2 comments:

  1. I think that stila is quite good for what it does!
    Make sure to check out my blog:
    Majotron.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete