Thursday 23 January 2014

Top Tips + Routine for Long, Healthy, Shiny Hair!



I decided to start growing out my hair a little over a year ago, around Thanksgiving 2012. Since then, I've learned a lot. Although it can take a lot of time and effort to grow out your hair, I think it's totally worth it if it's something you're interested in. And no, you don't have to have perfect genes and take tons of vitamins to transform rough, damaged hair into long, healthy hair. It's all about your hair care routine and the steps you take to keep your hair in the best condition possible. I'm going to show you the products I use in and out of the shower, as well as give you my top tips for gorgeous hair!

I apologize if this photo is a little blurry, but it was so difficult to take one that showed the length of my hair! Anyway, this is what I ended up with. Hopefully you guys can see that my hair ends just past the bottom of my shirt.

Let's get right into the tips I have for growing out your hair!

1. Use less heat. This one is probably obvious, but it's so, so important. Take showers at night if you can, so that you don't have to blow-dry your hair in the morning. Put your hair in braids to give it natural curls, rather than using a curling iron or wand. Do anything and everything you can to avoid heat, except on special occasions. This will automatically make your hair healthier, as you're not exposing it to the damage that heat causes, including breakage, which is definitely not what you want when you're growing out your hair. It's annoying at first, but it really works.

2. Be consistent. Build a hair care routine that works for you, and stick with it. Here's what I use in the shower:


The first product I want to mention is the CHI Nourish Intense Hydrating Silk Bath. This is a super-moisturising shampoo that gently cleanses without stripping your hair of all it's essential oils. Dry hair can lead to frizz, breakage, and a dull look. Using a shampoo like this will help your hair stay strong.


However, some of us have hair that's more oily naturally, and every now and then we all need a shampoo that's a little bit more cleansing. I use Soap & Glory's Glad Hair Day shampoo once every third wash to make sure that my hair is really clean. (If your hair is more oily, you can use this every second wash.) This really will get any oil build-up out of your hair without making it dry or dull.  


Next, I'm going to talk about my secret weapon against damage. Nexxus Pro-Mend Split End Binding Conditioner does it all. It smells amazing, makes your hair shiny and moisturised, hydrates extremely well, and helps to reduce the appearance of any existing damage while preventing future split ends. This stuff does wonders, and I really believe that it's helped me to grow my hair out. It only takes one use to see the effects of this conditioner - it's like an instant health boost for your hair! 


Finally, use a hair mask whenever you can. Of course, you can always make your own using ingredients from your kitchen like olive oil.  As much as I love using natural hair masks, I think that one from the store is more practical for day-to-day use and makes it easier to remember to apply. This one is Pantene Pro-V 2-Minute Deep Conditioner. This product works quickly to infuse your hair with extra hydration, allowing it to grow longer and stronger. When it only takes 2 minutes, you'll be able to use a hair mask even when you're in a rush.

3. Stop washing your hair in hot water. I used to do this all the time. Why is it bad for your hair? Warm water not only damages your hair, but it opens up the follicle so that it releases moisture. What's the point of applying a hair mask if you rinse it off with hot water, letting all the moisture escape? Try to stick with lukewarm water in the shower, and finish off at the end with a cold rinse to lock in hydration. 

4. I use store-bought hair masks most of the time, but every now and then, it's great to make your own natural one. using a mixture of ingredients including olive oil, banana, honey, coconut oil, avocado, and egg. Experiment and have fun with it! Apply the mask to your hair an hour before you get in the shower, making sure to wrap it up. Then wash it off and start your regular hair care routine. 

5. Follow up any good in-shower hair care routine with a post-shower one! Here are my favourite products:


As soon as I'm out of the shower, I apply Nexxus Pro-Mend Split End Binding Targeting Leave-In Treatment Creme to my ends. This works with the conditioner I used earlier to help prevent split ends and make hair look healthy and vibrant. This is definitely a must-have when you're growing out your hair.


Next, it's time for Nexxus Humectress Luxe Ultimate Hydrating Leave-In Spray. This is incredibly light; it feels like you haven't applied any product. Simply spray this from your ends to the middle of your hair - a little is all you need. This product helps to keep your hair hydrated and moisturised, so that it's less likely to break off.

6. Oil, oil, oil! Beauty and hair oils are awesome when you're growing your hair. They provide an instant boost of shine and moisture. Even if you have naturally oily hair, there's no need to be afraid. Just rub a few drops in your hands and apply lightly to the ends of your hair at any time. I like to use this after I get out of the shower, and then again whenever I feel my hair needs a boost. The Josie Maran 100 Percent Pure Argan Oil is my favourite. 


7. Never use any products on your hair if you plan on using heat. Sure, we all need to straighten or curl our hair sometimes - and it's fine once in a while. Just make sure that you're not applying products to your hair before you do it, especially oils, which can fry your hair if heat is used. If you feel that you need some pre-heat product, spray an extremely light layer of heat protectant in your hair. If you follow this step, you'll notice a big difference over time. 

8. Drink water! Yes, it's cliche. But it works. Having a healthy diet and making sure that you're drinking enough water really will help your body feel and look it's best, and that includes your hair. Water can help improve shine and moisture, and the longer you stick to it, the better the results will be. 

9. Don't brush your hair when it's wet - unless you use a special tool, like the Tangle Teezer or the Wet Brush:


My Tangle Teezer has helped me manage my hair so easily. Because I let my hair air dry, it's important that it's not messy and tangly. It takes me under 2 minutes to brush out my hair using this after I'm finished in the shower, and it never pulls or causes breakage. I don't know how, but this is a miracle worker. It's allowed me to grow my hair longer than ever before, because my hair isn't breaking off after each shower. But remember that even when you're using a special tool, be careful with wet hair. It's more prone to damage than when it's dry. 

10. If possible, put your hair in a braid at night when you sleep. This step is especially important when you wash your hair at night and it's not totally dry when you go to bed. The braid will help to prevent damage, as well as give you gorgeous heatless waves that you can wake up to in the morning! I make a braid after I've used all of my post-shower products, so that they're evenly applied throughout my hair. I definitely notice a difference when I do this, and I feel like it helps your hair soak up the products better as well. 

11. Don't wash your hair as often as you do now. There's no "when-you-should-wash" number that's right for everyone - it depends on your hair length, thickness, how oily or dry your hair is naturally, and your activity level. Some people do need to wash their hair more often than others, and that's totally fine. Just aim to wash your hair less frequently. Washing, especially shampooing, is hard on your hair, and even when you use moisturising products you're still losing some natural moisture. Going for a longer period between washes allows your hair to produce the natural oils that it needs. Even a day makes a difference.

12. Only cut your hair if it's necessary. If you have severe breakage and split ends, head to the hairdresser to get a cut. But don't feel obligated to get a trim every 2-3 months if your hair is healthy and in good condition. There's no need to cut off healthy ends, so if you can, skip the appointment with your stylist. 

I hope that these tips helped out some of you guys who are just starting to grow out your hair. It's a long process, but if it's what you want, it's worth it. And remember - as long as you feel comfortable and beautiful with your hairstyle, it's always going to look amazing.
Don't forget- you can now follow my blog with Bloglovin!

5 comments:

  1. the best hair products I've ever used are the ones from pro naturals, especially the hair mask you apply after the shampoo and conditioner, it really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I'll have to check those out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to try that soap and glory shampoo for quite some time! I find soap and glory to be one of those brands I know I will love even though I haven't tried it yet.
    http://makeupmonster77.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your hair is super long! I really want to try the Josie Maran oil x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the Soap and Glory shampoo and the Josie Maran oil are the best! They really work well, and they're definitely worth picking up. :)

    ReplyDelete