Friday 31 January 2014

Oily Skin Part 2: Skincare Must-Haves!

After starting off with my top 5 makeup essentials for oily skin, I decided to continue the series with my top 5 skincare must haves. There are so many amazing skincare options out there that it was incredibly difficult to choose just 5, but I feel confident that the products I've picked will make an awesome routine for anyone out there with oily/combo skin. Once you have a great core routine, you can always add in products whenever you need them. 



1. A makeup remover you can count on:

Bioderma Sebium H20 Micelle Solution

I know, I've already raved about this product in my Bioderma Sebium review, but I couldn't leave it out of this top-5 list. It's an amazing multi-purpose, water-like solution. It can be used to take off makeup - even the heaviest foundations and thickest mascaras - but it has so many added skincare benefits too. This helps regulate the quantity and quality of sebum production, so that your skin is less oily over time. And it also cleanses deep down into your pores, without drying out your skin or removing moisture. That's what makes this an easy any time cleanser - simply apply to a cotton round and you're good to go! Anyone with oily skin knows how important a quick cleanse can be, as our skin sometimes needs it throughout the day. Overall, this is a wonderful, over-achieving and multi-purpose product. Who doesn't want their makeup remover to do more? 

2. A non-irritating exfoliator to banish unevenness:

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment

I absolutely had to bring Kate Somerville into this. I love her skincare line - yes, it's a little bit pricey, but you always get what you pay for. And this exfoliator is no different. It works wonders. When I first got this, I noticed a change in my skin after just one use. Exfolating is important for everyone, but when you have oily skin, you rely on your exfoliator to remove unwanted dead skin and buildup, and to create a smooth complexion (oiliness can cause roughness and unevenness). That's where ExfoliKate comes in. It works quickly to fight blackheads, redness, and discolouration, while polishing your skin for a flawless surface. This not only gets rid of dead skin, it also works to eliminate bacteria that can cause acne. Best of all, it won't irritate your skin or inflame problem areas because it contains no harsh ingredients. 


3. A non-drying cleanser that really works:

Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser

When you have oily or combination skin, it's incredibly important to keep it hydrated. Why? Because dried-out skin can actually cause your body to produce even more oil, often creating clogged pores and blackheads. Therefore, your cleanser has to be a miracle worker. It must have the ability to cleanse your skin extremely well, getting rid of any built-up oil or dirt, without removing moisture or leaving your skin feeling tight. Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser does it all. I've tried dozens of cleansers, both from drugstore and high end brands, and nothing works like this one. Bonus? It contains no heavy ingredients or parabens, which can do more harm than good. You can trust this product for all of your cleansing needs, and you can count on clean skin that keeps it's much-needed moisture. All at an unbelievable price, since Neutrogena is available at drugstores everywhere. 

4. A moisturiser that deeply hydrates without being greasy:

Vichy Normaderm Tri-Activ Anti- Imperfection Hydrating Acne Care

This product from Vichy is my skincare BFF. In fact, if I was on a desert island and could only take one product with me, I'd choose this. Why? Because it does everything you could ever want a moisturiser to do. It fights blackheads, breakouts, large pores, excess shine, redness, dryness, and irritation. All while deeply hydrating and smoothing your skin. My skin used to be rough and uneven, but now I can actually feel this product working to resurface it. Vichy Hydrating Acne Care contains salicylic, glycolic and lipo-hydroxy acid for added skincare benefits, without ever coming close to being drying or greasy. It treats current acne while preventing it in the future. What more could you want? This is my oily-skin secret weapon. 

5. A beauty oil that doesn't add shine:

Josie Maran 100 Percent Pure Argan Oil Light

If you're anything like me, you're probably thinking, "Oil on already oily skin? What could be worse?" Honestly, I had the same thoughts for so long, which prevented me from trying out Josie Maran's skincare range. But then I read about oil's benefits on acne-prone skin. It hydrates deeply, so that your skin is never dry. This sends the message that your skin is already oily enough, slowing down sebum production. I decided to give it a try, and I'm so glad that I did! It really works. I usually mix this in with my moisturiser at night to complete my skincare routine. And I have the light version of Josie's argan oil, which is ideal because it's not too heavy and absorbs very quickly. If you're suffering from acne caused by excess sebum, or just a ton of unwanted shine, try a pure, natural beauty oil. You'll be surprised at the results. 

I hope you guys enjoyed my top-5 skincare must-haves for oily skin, and that you found it helpful. Let me know if you pick up any of these products. I'd love to hear if they helped you out! 

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try the bioderm but I can't find it in London!! waaaaaaah :(

    http://mehshake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick Google search, and I'm in Canada so I'm unsure if this will help. But I found this site that offers free shipping in the UK and carries Bioderma: http://www.escentual.com/bioderma/
      You can also try Ebay and Amazon, as I've had some success ordering international products from there before. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete