Monday 17 February 2014

The List: Top 5 Products From My Drugstore Haul! (First Impressions)

As you'll know if you follow me on Instagram, I went on another drugstore shopping spree this weekend, and I picked up a few exciting products. I've had the chance to test them all, and I'm bringing you my thoughts on the top 5!


Let's get right into the first impressions and mini-reviews!

Essence Match 2 Cover Cream Concealer

This double concealer mini-palette will only cost you around $3, but you'll soon forget that once you test it out! The quality of this product is amazing for the price. It features two concealers, a creamy medium beige on the left, and a light porcelain ivory on the right. Essence says that the concealers can be used on their own, or mixed together to create the perfect colour. Unfortunately for some, Match 2 Cover only comes in one shade selection - so if these colours don't look like something that would work for you, you're out of luck. However, if you think that these would be a good match for you, I'd definitely pick up the product. The concealer is creamy, provides decent medium coverage, and works well under the eyes or on hyper-pigmentation. The best thing about the product? You get two different shades, which you can mix and match or use on different areas (I use the light under my eyes and the darker one on blemishes), and you just can't beat the price. Overall, this is similar in quality to many high end concealers that I've tried. 

L'Oreal Extraordinaire by Colour Riche Lip Colour in Nude Ballet

I only have one important thing to say about this product: it's heaven. This is by far the best lip product I've ever purchased from the drugstore. The product is similar to Maybelline's Color Elixirs, whereas it's a lipgloss with the pigment of a lipstick and the hydration of a balm. This is the perfect consistency, not too heavy or thick, but not thin and slippery. It's creamy without being gloopy or sticky. In fact, this just glides on to your lips like butter. The product is pigmented without being overwhelming; I think almost everyone would be happy with the amount of colour it provides. L'Oreal says that it's infused with micro-oils for hydration, and I believe them. You can feel how soft and moisturising this lip colour is - in fact, it's better at keeping my lips hydrated than some thick balms I've tried. The applicator makes sure that the colour is applied evenly, and the formula is absolutely divine. I also thought that this had an excellent wear time for a lipgloss as well. Go. Get. This. Now. You need it in your life. 

Physician's Formula Super CC Pressed Powder in Light/Medium

How cute is this packaging? As part of Physician's Formula's new Super CC line, they released a pressed powder which contains colour correcting pigments. As a fan of BB and CC creams, and the naturally flawless look that colour correction can provide, I had to try this out. Long story short, I love it! Firstly, it contains no parabens or harmful ingredients. And it's finely milled, easy to apply, and incredibly smooth. After applying this with a dense kabuki brush (which I recommend as opposed to the brush that comes with the powder), I noticed that my pores looked smaller, and my skin appeared to have a perfected, airbrushed-like surface. While I don't believe that there's really enough coloured pigments in the powder to truly 'colour correct', I think it's one of the nicest powders I've used in a long time - better than many high end ones. And hey, even a little bit of colour correction helps!

Revlon Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya

You're probably familiar with the Revlon Lip Butters - they're likely single-handedly responsible for the 'natural shine and tint of colour' lip trend that's still going on. I'm happy to jump on the bandwagon because these are amazing! While I already own many of these hydrating, soft lip butters, I had to purchase the new shade, Juicy Papaya. It's a coral-peach that will complement nearly all warm skintones - and it's beautiful. Even if this shade doesn't catch your eye, I'd recommend checking out the multitude of other shades this product comes in. It's easy to apply on the go, gives just the perfect amount of colour, and always looks fresh and pretty. Plus, you can grab these on sale sometimes for as little as $5 - such a bargain. 

Stila Stay All Day 10-In-1 HD Beauty Balm

Wait, Stila? Isn't that high end? I know, I know - Stila isn't technically a drugstore brand. But since it's available for purchase at so many drugstores (I got mine at Shopper's Drug Mart), I figured it'd be okay to include it in this haul. Stila says that this all-in-one beauty balm will perfect skin, minimize the appearance and depth of fine lines and wrinkles, control blemishes and oil, and smooth and brighten. The brand recommends wearing this on it's own or under makeup as a primer. Because this only comes in one universal light/medium shade, which is a bit too dark for me, I wear it under foundation or CC cream to help get the right colour match for my skintone. Since trying this out, I really really like it. While I obviously can't see any long-term skincare benefits yet, I love how it evens my skin and keeps oil at bay. The texture is creamy without being greasy, and it glides on beautifully. If this matched my skin, I'd absolutely love to wear it as my BB cream, as it provides natural, fresh coverage. I'll be using this as a primer under makeup for a long time to come! 

I hope that you guys enjoyed this post of some of my latest drugstore picks. While I couldn't include everything from the haul in this post, I'll be talking about the other products that I purchased very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment