Friday 21 February 2014

The Solution: How to Hide Dark Circles, Discolouration, and Bags!

First off, I'd just like to apologize for not getting a review up on Wednesday - I really wasn't feeling well. Thankfully, I'm all better now, and I'm bringing you a brand new post on how to cover undereye circles and bags!

We've all been there; it's an important day and you wake up with puffy eyes and purple and blue discolouration. Tired-looking eyes often create a fatigued look all over the face, and can make your skin appear dull and sallow. However, don't panic! There are tons of ways to hide dark circles, brighten your eyes, and enhance your overall complexion.


When you wake up in the morning looking like you got no sleep, you need something that works quickly and easily, without being heavy, thick, or obvious. Here are my steps to banishing eye bags forever!

Firstly, be prepared. Keep a metal spoon in the freezer for times like these! Just grab the spoon and place it underneath your eye, moving it around like an eye roller. The cool temperature and smooth texture of the metal will soon calm any puffiness down. There's no need to apply a product to do this - a cool spoon works perfectly. Besides, it allows you to use less product for a more natural look. If you're unprepared and don't have a spoon waiting, you can always use a small pack of frozen peas in a pinch.

Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque

One of the most important things you can do is to correct the blue, purple, and grey tones underneath a tired eye. If you simply apply concealer, it can look ashy. The pink colour of Bobbi Brown's Light Bisque will counteract any dark blue or purple, while brightening the undereye area. Use this product sparingly, as a little goes a long way! Simply apply this (with your fingers) directly where you see discolouration, and along the line of your undereye bags. 

Revlon Age Defying Targeted Dark Spot Concealer Treatment in Fair

This concealer is perfect for applying on top of the corrector. It has a thin consistency, so it never looks heavy or cakey underneath your eye. The formula is incredibly easy to blend out as well. For this step, I usually apply with my fingers in a triangle shape underneath my eye, and then take a Beauty Blender or makeup sponge to blend. The best thing about this concealer is that it provides quite a bit of coverage, while actually helping to face discolouration over time. I love using this under my eyes because it feels so light, but packs a lot of punch coverage-wise. 

Revlon Colorstay Concealer in Light

This step is optional, and only necessary on days when you really need some added coverage. I'll apply this with my fingers in the same triangle shape as the Age Defying concealer, and then blend out with a sponge. Although this is a bit thicker in consistency, it's still not overly heavy and can be blended out to quite a natural finish. That said, it provides the kind of coverage that you need on days when your dark circles are taking over your face.

From top to bottom: YSL's Touche Eclat in 01,
 L'Oreal Magic Lumi concealer in Fair

This is my final concealing step. By now, you've covered all of your discolouration and darkness. I use either Touche Eclat or Magic Lumi to highlight and brighten my eyes. These don't provide very much coverage, so I simply use them after I've concealed to add a finishing touch. There's not very much difference between the two products - both have a thin consistency and a peachy colour similar to Bobbi Brown's Corrector. To add some light to my eyes, I simply dot this on wherever I still see darkness and blend out gently with my finger. This creates a natural, fresh look. 

Elf's Baked Eyeshadow in Moonlight Serenade

If you really want to brighten your eyes and remove all signs of fatigue, there's nothing better than a white or cream shadow on the inner corner of your eye. After you've concealed, take a small shadow brush and apply this along the inner third of your lashline and into your inner corner, taking it all the way up onto the first part of your lid. You can use any light shadow for this, and something with a shimmer or satin finish will really catch the light and help to brighten. I've selected Elf's Baked Eyeshadow because it works just as well as any high end shadow I've used for this job, and it's affordable and easy to access (you don't have to buy an entire palette to get it!). Another favourite of mine when highlighting my inner corner is Urban Decay's Virgin. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post on battling dark circles and discolouration! It may seem complicated at first, but it makes a huge difference and can really change your entire appearance. No one ever has to know how late you were out last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment