Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Review: Cream Contour Products from the Drugstore (All Under $20)!

Today I'll be reviewing two products for cream contouring that I picked up at the drugstore. I know how difficult it can be to find products to contour with at affordable prices, as not much is available from traditional drugstore brands. I did, however, manage to find something for both contouring and highlighting. Let's test these out and see how they work!


I wanted to find a cream product that I could use to contour my face. It had to be matte, easily blendable, slightly ashy (to resemble the grey tint of a shadow on the face), and of course, available at a drugstore. I was so excited when I found Milani's Cream to Powder Foundation.

Milani Cream-to-Powder Makeup in Spiced Almond (02)

This is a cream foundation product that blends out easily and sets with a powder-like finish. The colour is dark enough for many skintones to contour with, yet it's not overwhelming on my pale NC20 skin. I simply apply this with my RealTechniques contour brush, and it works perfectly. The texture is incredible; creamy and soft, but never heavy or greasy, as the product is oil-free. It's quite light, but still provides a nice medium coverage. That's ideal for contouring, as you don't necessarily want anything too full coverage or thick when you plan on blending it out for a natural finish. This also works just as well with a beauty blender or makeup sponge. I'm so impressed! This definitely compares to high-end cream contouring products, but it's available from Milani for around $10.

L'Oreal La Touche Magique Concealer in Ivory Beige

For my highlighting shade, I opted for this concealer from L'Oreal. When you have pale skin, it's usually hard enough to find a drugstore foundation shade that's light enough for you - let alone one a few shades lighter! Luckily, Touche Magique in the shade Ivory Beige works nicely. This colour is yellow-based, but if your skin is cooler there is also a pale pink-based shade as well - there's lots of choices. To apply, I simply click up the pen and brush on directly to my skin, where I want to add brightness. Many people have compared Touche Magique to YSL's Touche Eclat, but that's really an unfair comparison. Touche Magique has much more coverage and is heavier, while Touche Eclat provides a natural-looking, barely there coverage. Touche Magique really works in place of a foundation, while Touche Eclat simply adds luminescence. The texture of Touche Magique is thicker without being heavy; it really shows up on skin, but blends out well too. It's great to use as a lighter colour where you want to attract attention: your forehead, down your nose, cheekbones, chin, etc. It's definitely a staple for me, and a good replacement for high end products. It'll only cost you about $10.

I hope you guys enjoyed my quick review of these two drugstore highlighting/contouring products! There are so many uses for drugstore products, even when they're not marketed that way. When you're resourceful, it's easy to save money and achieve the same look.

No comments:

Post a Comment